Health and Wellness
We are committed to the health and wellness of our entire school community. Supported by our Health Center nurses, a team of counselors, and athletic coaches and trainers, Bryn Mawr helps students understand their own emotional and physical wellness, what they need to thrive, and how to make educated and healthy choices. Parents and families are our partners in this work. Keeping our Community Healthy
A student's health and wellness is key to her academic and overall success. Students should stay home, or will be sent home from school, for the following reasons:
- A fever greater than 100.0 degrees. Students must be fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medicine before returning to school
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea. Students should be symptom-free for 24 hours before returning to school
- Untreated head lice
- Strep throat. Students must remain home until two doses of antibiotics have been administered
- Pink eye/conjunctivitis. Students must remain home for 24 hours after starting antibiotics (eye drops) or until symptoms clear, there is no discharge and the eye is not irritated.
Please notify the nurse if:
- Your child develops a communicable disease (chicken pox, measles, flu, meningitis, hepatitis, food poisoning, head lice, Lyme disease, tuberculosis, whooping cough, MRSA, mononucleosis, scabies, conjunctivitis, ringworm and impetigo)
- Your child has a serious illness or injury. A doctor’s clearance is required to resume participation in athletics and physical education.
Medicine at school
Students may not carry medication at school with the exception of emergency medications such as inhalers (for asthma) and Epi-Pens. All other prescription medication required at school must be brought to the Health Center in a pharmacy-labeled container. All medication, either self-carried or kept in the Health Center, MUST have a Maryland State School Medication Administration Authorization form signed by a physician and uploaded to Magnus Health.
Bryn Mawr partners with online health management system Magnus Health to securely collect and store student medical information. Parents and guardians are responsible for uploading annual physical exams and completing all consents and forms through Magnus Health, which is accessible by logging in to the Parent Portal
In the event of a weather-related or emergency school closing, Bryn Mawr will notify families via the e2Campus Emergency Notification System (ENS). All parents must subscribe to the system, which will broadcast notices via email, voice, and text messaging. Communications from the headmistress and the divisions will be sent via email and posted on the Parent Portal.
The school uses campus-wide bells and alarms, broadcast phone messages, web alerts, and e2 Campus to notify school personnel and students of an emergency. School marshals communicate the protocol to be followed on our campus and, when necessary, campus security is in communication with our coordinate schools, Gilman School and Roland Park Country School, by two-way radio, email, and cell phone.